I don’t know about you, but April went by in a flash for me. It started with beautifully with an Easter visit from the student daughter. Then I was pitched headlong into book writing and I haven’t really come up for air since. Plus a bunch of volunteering projects I had been involved in are either re-starting or getting going. Speaking of which, if you happen to visit Ray Lee’s Points of Departure at Brighton Festival, look out for me in a sailor’s outfit, ringing a bell. As you do.
Well, it makes a change from lockdown, eh?
So what of the April bag of empties? For the fourth month in a row, I’ve been gathering up a washbag full of beauty empties, ready to be counted and in one case, crowned Product of the Month. Last month’s bag of retired treats is here.
As before, in the empties list below, anything marked with a * is a press sample sent to me for review. If there’s a longer review available then I’ll link to it. The rest of it was bought by me. Links to products may be affiliate, but this post is not affiliate-driven.
The bag’s a bit less full this month – definitely coming to the end of all the testers and half used bits I’ve had laying around.
April empties – the list in full
- Davines Renewing Shampoo – This stuff is great. I think the older you get, the more a decent shampoo makes a difference.
- Utama Spice 100% Natural Shampoo* – Beautifully scented SLS free shampoo from Bali. I loved trying out this range, more on the brand here.
- Superdrug Optimum Retinol Day Cream* – I ended up using this as a night cream because, as I said in my review, it wasn’t quite right for day time.
- Nivea Double Effect Eye Make-Up Remover – Our first second appearance on the empties list. Good work, Nivea.
- Merumaya Hydrate & Protect Hand Cream* – This took forever to use up because I kept it as my ‘outdoors’ hand cream, thanks to its SPF 15 protection. I’m surprised to see that Merumaya don’t sell it any more. Hand creams with SPF are hard to find. If you spot one, let me know.
- Susanne Kaufmann Body Oil – I wish I’d had a bigger bottle of this, it’s sublime. Beautiful lightweight body smoother.
- Aurelia Aromatic Repair & Brighten Hand Cream -This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the hand cream trick that can help if you feel anxious during Zoom calls.
- Måd sample by ånd fragrances* – A gorgeous mix of vanilla, ylang oil, vetiver, violet, musk, jasmine and cloves. It’s like a comforting spicy toffee mix with faintly floral undertones. Loved it. More on the brand here.
- Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Universal Daily Peel – Terrific facial skin smoother. I’m saving the last one for a special occasion. And hurrah for the fact that at last we may have special occasions to look forward. Or at least occasions that amount to more than putting the big bin out.
- Burt’s Bees Lip Balm – Burt’s Bees were the first brand I ever ordered online in the late nineties, before you could get them in the UK. Obviously now they’re everywhere I am much less interested, but they do make good lip balms.
- Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base -I’ve had a couple of samples of this. Whilst I do like it, I don’t think I’d go for a full size as it contains shea butter which has a habit of clogging my skin.
- Benton Honest TT Mist – I suspect I’ve had this Korean toner for about a billion years, but it was in a sealed packet so I thought, why not? Threw it on my face. Nothing’s fallen off yet. Bon appetit.
Product of the month
Can only be my lockdown companion Aurelia Aromatic Repair & Brighten Hand Cream. I remember cracking open this fancy hand cream at the start of lockdown, when it was apparent that we were pinned down for the duration. Its lovely scent of vetiver, ylang ylang, lavender and patchouli got me through many a Zoom call.