I feel like May sped through like a horse on fire in a hurricane. It was easily the busiest month of the year so far for me. I had a book deadline in the middle of May, so that was pretty intense. And with all that head work going on there was correspondingly less focus on anything else. Hence the contents of this month’s empties bag are pretty sparse.
If you’ve not delved into empties with me before, the deal is that every month this year I gather my beauty empties in a washbag. Then I spill them out to see what tale the plastic runes are telling and which one deserves the title of Product of the Month.
As before, in the empties list below, anything marked with a * is a press sample sent to me for review. If there’s a longer review available then I’ll link to it. The rest of it was bought by me. Links to products may be affiliate, but this post is not affiliate-driven.
So what’s in the bag of used up products for May?
- Aliver Exfoliating Foot Mask – You know I love a foot peel. The most gross and disgusting fun with gnarly foot skin you can have without leaving the house. I got this one from eBay. Pretty good, if not exactly pretty.
- Elemis Superfood Vital Veggie Mask – Loved this, very nourishing. An easy way to smush avocado, broccoli and kale into your face all at once, if that’s your secret ambition. Find it here.
- Goldfaden MD Hands to Heart Anti Ageing Brightening Hand Treatment – I only had a little sample of this but was v impressed. Nice intense hand cream that sinks in quickly so you can crack on with writing your book.
- Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream – Love the scent of this so much. I wish Aldi would bring back their dupe of it, that was great.
- Amanda Harrington Ultra Balm Universal Rescue Cream – Super thick body moisturiser. Not crazy about the texture or ingredients (mineral oil, silicone, lots of scent). Avoid if you’ve got sensitive skin.
- Emma Hardie Purifying Pink Clay Detox Mask – Nice cleansing & slightly exfoliating clay mask. Very gentle on the skin. Not sure how it’s supposed to be detoxing, it’s not your liver.
May the empties be with you…
- Dior Lip Glow Colour Reviver Balm – Was delighted to find this under the bed, where it had been lurking for an eternity. Such a nice product, perfect for summer. Have now scraped it right down to the bottom of the bullet and am saving for another one. I had a good dupe for this but I think that’s lost under the bed too. I need to train up the cat to start retrieving these things.
- Foreo Youth Junkie mask* – It still feels like a treat to use the Foreo UFO masking device. This mask is infused with collagen, great for overnight skin revival & moisturising.
- Davines Oi Hair Butter – This is a great light hair mask to use once a week in the bath when every follicle is frazzled and you just need to hide from the world for a bit. Then when you’re done hiding, you can emerge with great hair. Find it here.
Product of the month
A difficult choice. Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream just pips it, with Dior Lip Glow a close second. The Bum Bum Cream wins because not only does it smell and feel glorious, it also comes with added odd stares from family members. Yes lads, I have put a pot of bum bum cream in the bathroom. No, it’s not some weird arse moisturiser, it’s just memorably branded body lotion. Plus it smells like a holiday, and I need one of those.